Sussex Yeomanry Events
Spring Remembrance & Families Day
Our spring remembrance service is a time to reflect and remember, and for fellow yeoman and their families to meet. This year we will be unable to provide a buffet lunch in the East Dean village hall due to COVID lockdown rules. We will explore the possibility of having a pub lunch afterwards at the Fox Goes Free.
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) gives members an opportunity to meet the elected committee, to ask questions, vote on key changes and receive information about the Association such as the financial statements, association future goals and achievements against past goals etc.
The Annual dinner is the highlight of our social calendar, a delicious three course meal and an opportunity for fellow yeoman to get together and reminisce on times gone by and times to come, a great evening out.
Field of Remembrance
Organised by the Royal British Legion, the Field of Remembrance is a ceremony, where poppies and personal messages of remembrance to those who lost their life in the Service of our country are displayed. The event itself is held on the first day of a two-week national display, with several fields situated around the country. Our fallen comrades of the Sussex Yeomanry are on display here in the grounds of Westminster Abbey. A very worthwhile and humbling sight.
Service of Remembrance
The Service of Remembrance, is the critical event on the associations calendar, where we join the nation in remembering our fallen comrades. The Sussex Yeomanry has its own memorial stone in the village of Charlton, set in a beautiful and peaceful valley, a fitting tribute to those who gave so much for so many.
The Sussex Yeomanry has a number of items of military significance on display at Newhaven fort, from uniforms, medals, insignia and more. Whilst very occasionally we remove some of the artefacts for cleaning, or ceremonial purposes, in the main the full display is available all year round, and well worth a visit.
The fort itself, sits on around 10 acres and is reputed to be the largest known defence structure in Sussex. Built into the cliffs above Newhaven harbour it was designed and built by the then, Lieutenant John Charles Ardagh, from 1862 to 1871. Significantly, (notes the Ex. Royal Engineer) this was the first time concrete was used in a military structure, and crucially it successfully provided defence in both World Wars.